Preparing the swim run. Photo Videovan.com
Ice cold swimming contest in the ice harvest pool at ICEHOTEL
The annual swimming contest ”ICEHOTEL Waiting for summer Swim” will take place on April 7 in Torne River, right behind ICEHOTEL. A hole in the ice, 25 meter long, has been sawed out – and now it’s time for daring swimmers to try their luck.
When the first flowers of the spring pop up in southern Sweden, it is already bathing season at ICEHOTEL in Jukkasjärvi – at least for the daring swimmers that want to awaken their bodies from the hibernation with a swim in the fresh waters of Torne River during this annual contest.
”ICEHOTEL Waiting for Summer Swim” is not just held on, it is also in Torne River; in the same spot where the crystal clear ice has been harvested for the next winter hotel just a few days earlier. The contest is held for the second time at ICEHOTEL and hope to attract lots of visitors to swim in the almost zero-degrees, crystal clear Torne River.
– The hole in the ice is a pool left from the ice harvest, the place where the ice for next year’s ICEHOTEL has grown thick all winter. The harvest is in full swing at the moment, and what better than a swimming contest amongst the ice blocks, says Mikaela Nörstewold, Project Manager for ”ICEHOTEL Waiting for Summer Swim.
Information and program ICEHOTEL Waiting for Summer Swim
- Opening ceremony on the ice outside ICEHOTEL Saturday, April 7 at 11am.
- Swimming distances. Choose between 25m, 50m and 4×25 meters. Breaststroke-swimming only. Minimum age 16 years.
- SUP-contest in the ice pool. Stand Up Paddle board-contest between the swimming heats. SUP boards and wetsuit can be borrowed from ICEHOTEL.
- Heated wood fired bathtubs and sauna tents available on the ice.
- Swedish kokkaffe will be served.
- Price ceremony and After Swim with troubadour in the Lounge after the swimming contest is finished.
- Price to attend: 200 SEK. Pre-booking through ICEHOTEL’s webpage.
Spring-winter at its best – ICEHOTEL
Welcome to the sun! The sun is back in Jukkasjärvi, and after a dark winter, the days are quickly getting longer and warmer. The arrival of the spring has always been a sign indicating that ICEHOTEL soon will return to Torne River. Times are changing and thanks to sustainable solar power, the guests can now enjoy a night on ice and snow – year round, in the permanent part of ICEHOTEL.
Stay in a beautifully hand-sculpted art suite and try ice sculpting, fishing, Jukkasjärvi Sauna Ritual, and bask in the warm rays from the spring sun. Top it off with an exclusive twelve-course tasting menu at Chef’s Table on ICEHOTEL’s Veranda. Read more about spring at ICEHOTEL here.Arctic Spring at ICEHOTEL
ICEHOTEL opened in 1989 and is besides a hotel also an art exhibition with ever-changing art out of ice and snow. ICEHOTEL is created in a new guise every winter, completely made out of natural ice from Torne River, one of Sweden’s national rivers and last untouched waters. When the winter season’s Icehotel has melted back into the river in the spring, a part of the hotel remains; a place where visitors can experience the ice and snow year-round. www.icehotel.com