Experience live ice sculpting at ICEHOTEL
Press Release May 28, 2018
Welcome to view the ice from Torne River transform into sculptures at Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi.
An ice symposium with nine sculptors from Sweden will take part May 30 –June 2 in the year-round part of Icehotel. The initiator is the sculptor Lena Kriström, who during the past 26 years has created art out of ice and snow at Icehotel. Lena is also creating art from magnetite and rock and her art is on display all over the world.Each sculptor is free to create their own design and when the sculptures are done, the exhibition will be available to view during the summer.
– The Torne River ice is an amazing material for expressing yourself, with its total transparency and in constant change, unlike any other material. The ice is letting the light through and the art takes shape quickly with our sharp tools. And the art disappears, the ice is a living material, says Lena Kriström.
The live sculpting can be viewed between 10.00-18.00, May 30–June 2, 2018. The ice sculptures will be on display in the ice gallery during the summer.
Participating sculptors are
- Yvonne Nimar, Hjo
- Kerstin Dahl Norén, Äspered
- Pontus Ersbacken, Fors
- Björn Jäderås, Tingsryd
- Magnus Ringborg, Stockholm
- Eva Berglund, Stockholm
- Yemisi Wilsson, Stockholm
- Hans Isaksson, Stockholm
- Lena Kriström, Jukkasjärvi
For more information and interviews please contact our PR & Media manager.
Visit our media & press room for images and press information.
Icehotel opened in 1989 and is beside a hotel also an art exhibition with ever-changing art out of ice and snow. Icehotel is created in a new guise every winter, completely made out of natural ice from Torne River, one of Sweden’s national rivers and last untouched waters.
When the winter season’s Icehotel has melted back into the river in the spring, a part of the hotel remains; Icehotel 365 - a place where visitors can experience the ice and sleep in hand carved art suites all year-round.