Experience all the new art at icehotel
Press Release December 21, 2020
The final six art suites are created and the 31st hotel of ice and snow is now complete.
Together with Icehotel's building team, ice production, creative support and lighting designers the 35 artists have created 12 unique art suites in Icehotel 31 and six new art suites in Icehotel 365 and a ceremony hall for intimate weddings and other celebrations.
Icehotel 31 can be experienced from December 11 until mid-April, 2021, then the winter-open part of Icehotel melts down to the Torne River again. The permanent part of the hotel, Icehotel 365, then remains and offers ice and snow experiences all year round.
Everyone can visit Icehotel – via AR on Instagram
Icehotel has for the last 30 years been a meeting place for people from all over the world, but this year things are different since many are restricted from travelling. For those who are unable to travel in person, Icehotel has created an Augmented Reality. Experience on Instagram – a digital journey to Icehotel’s world of ice and snow – from your living room.
A warm welcome into the cold, wherever you are!
Pictures & press material
- See the online photo gallery here.
- Download photos here.
- Try the AR experience on Instagram, and step into the art. Open the link with your smartphone (the latest version of Instagram is needed).
Art Suites in Icehotel 365
- Icehotel 365 You are here. Elisabeth Kristensen & Dave Ruane
- Icehotel 365 Toybox. Wouter Biegelaar & Viktor Tsarski
- Icehotel 365 Sauna. Luca Roncoroni
Deluxe Suites in Icehotel 365
- Icehotel 365 Kodex Maximus. Julia Gamborg Nielsen & Lotta Lampa
- Icehotel 365 Hang Loose. Edith Van de Wetering & Wilfred Stijger
- Icehotel 365 Dreaming in a dream. Kestutis Musteikis & Vytautas Musteikis
Ceremony Hall & Art Suites in Icehotel 31
- Icehotel 31 Ceremony Hall Skogen. Design Anna Öhlund & John Pettersson
- Icehotel 31 The Winter Garden. Design Kauppi & Kauppi
- Icehotel 31 Strawberry Room. Design Petter Stordalen & Luca Roncoroni
- Icehotel 31 Vila vid denna källa. Design Tjåsa Gusfors & Ulrika Tallving
- Icehotel 31 A Break. Design Lena Kriström & Nina Hedman
- Icehotel 31 Paradice Lost. Design Karl-Johan Ekeroth & Christian Strömqvist.
- Icehotel 31 Oh Rapunzel! Design Emilie Steele & Sara Steele
- Icehotel 31 A Journey into Letterspace. Design John Bark & Charli Kasselbäck
- Icehotel 31 Auris Interna. Julia Adzuki & Patrick Dallard
- Icehotel 31 Mr Ribston. Design Henkia
- Icehotel 31 The Guardian. Design Linda Vagnelind & Ida Collin
- Icehotel 31 Legacy. Design Carl Wellander & Regin Wellander
- Icehotel 31 Lucid Dream. Design Lukas Petko
There is also video material to illustrate how the AR experience works that can be sent on request.
Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi opened in 1989. In addition to being a hotel it is also an art exhibition, with original art in ice and snow, that changes from season to season. Each winter a new version of Icehotel is created entirely from ice from the Torne River, one of Sweden's National Heritage Rivers, which are protected from hydroelectric development. When the winter season’s hotel of ice and snow has melted and returned to the river in spring, part of the hotel remains – a place where visitors can enjoy experiences of ice and snow all year round.